A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to have a chat with my Grandpa Hatch. We were talking about Christmas and started talking about what Christmas was like when he was growing up. (Just to let some of you know, he was born in 1919 and grew up in Koosharem, UT). After the conversation I knew that I take Christmas gifts for granted. We have so much and are often ungrateful for what we enjoy.
Grandpa Hatch talked about a red wagon that he got for one Christmas. It was not just his gift. he shared it with his brother Lloyd. In the video he talks about that and a few other Christmas gifts he enjoyed.
I really hope that as you are buying gifts (and receiving them) this Christmas season that you will take a moment to think and feel how blessed you really are.
If any of my parents or grandparents want to share more stories (in writing or want me to record them) about a Christmas memory or two please send them to us. We love reading them.
We love you Grandpa!
5 comments:
that is so awesome. What a great experience. We do take christmas for granite. Thanks for reminding us the real reason for the season
Thanks for getting that video. I have been thinking the last few weeks about how spoiled we have become. We all need to realize that it isn't all about what we can "get" for Christmas, but what we can "give".
Yes, of course I remember you! What has it been - eight years? So, I see you're married - congrats! I hope you don't care if I add your blog to my link list. Good to hear from you!
isn't is just so awesome to hear about what our grandparents thought was a big christmas just think about what we do now. it is kinda sad we need to remember what christmas is all about christ and the family love you guys
Janae - Grandma Hatch also has a story similar and one year all she got was an orange! You'll have to ask her to recall that one! Another story about her is one time in the winter when she and her brothers and sisters had to ride horses to Loa to school (3 Miles or so) and it was an icy cold day. They stopped at Allred Point to water the horses and Uncle Kirk told her to lick the fence post, he being a jokester knew what was in store... you got it..."the Christmas Story" all over again. Grandma Hatches tongue stuck to the frozen post! As she pulled away she lost the top layer of her tongue! Can you imagine riding horses to school, in cold weather, uphill, both ways! They didn't have the clothing for dressing for cold weather back then either. My favorite Christmas memory is the Christmas eve programs in Loa. We had our programs on the stage, then we would dance to the Peterson's orchestra while we anticipated Santa's grand entrance. We of course would go outside to see if we could see his reindeer and sleigh on top of the Loa tabernacle. He handed us a brown paper bag with peanuts, chocolate mints, and hard tack candy inside. We usually got to open one gift before we went to the program which was a new pair of shoes to go with our homemade Christmas Dress.
Post a Comment