So, Kirk's last blog was written back in February. Why the delay or procrastination in writing, you may ask. I think I had blogalitis (its a rare disease that hits and you don't want to post anything because of various reasons that don't need to be discussed today.) Some of you may have had this rare disease. Hopefully you can overcome it and post more than I have. I just hope that a second wave doesn't hit. Good think Kelli was there for me during the infection of blogalitis. Anyways to the good stuff. Are you prepared for a 2 month catch up?
The weekend after my Grandpa Blake passed away, Kelli and I took a trip to Loa, UT. We visited Grandpa and Grandma Hatch. They prepared one AMAZING meal! They are such amazing people. After our dinner and visit to Capitol Reef National Park, Grandpa Hatch played his Accordion (which I believe he learned after turning 65) and the violin (which he just barely started learning this past year!). My grandpa will turn 89 in October. He has now inspired me to learn an instrument (because I failed miserably at the piano earlier in life.) It is never to late to start. I am taking up the guitar. I even went and bought my first guitar lessons book. Here is a video of Grandpa playing his accordion. He even had a band in past years and now goes to Koosharem to play with others like himself!
Don't you just love his smile at the end. He just beams! He was just like that after he played the violin for us. Very inspiring!
I can't remember the songs he played on the violin, but he attempted a few for us. He and Grandma are so proud of their "new" violin that they bought and had fixed up. Quite a story.
This is in Capitol Reef. Grandpa Hatch took us for tour and told us some stories. He helped bring in the first power line here (he was a linesman for Garkane). I believe it is an apricot orchard behind us. We even got to ride in their "new" car with all the whistles and bells. It was fun to hear them explain that they were "going 100 mph with everybody passing them". come to find out the car was set to KPH.
Now onto more Easter fun. This is at Arches National Park on Easter Sunday. We headed up after we went to church in Moab. It is tradition in the Blake and Hatch family to ROLL the egg not eat it. Being in the park we had to improvise (rolling the egg without making a mess). So we found this little hear at the picnic area.
7 comments:
Kirk that is all so touching! Of course it made me cry! Both Grandpa's are two of the most amazing people in the whole world. They are topped by two of the most amazing women in the whole world! Thanks for the video clips. So grateful that they are on there. If you can, please add those to the SD photo card for me. Great Blog!
Oh and by the way....you didn't get your nerves of steel from me for that jeep hill climbing but we all knew that right! I've been in a jeep ride that beats any, so I figured that would do me for life. And you do look good in red and the grumpy hat misrepresents you. You aren't grumpy by any means!
Oh boy...Grandpa and his violin. He loves that thing! It's fun to watch him play it. Who would've thought an almost-89 year old could teach them self how to play the violin?? We've got it in our blood...we can do anything! It was good to be updated. Do you have pictures from Florida?
I am so glad you blogged kirk, and Hope you dont get that a second time:) Thanks for posting those great videos, it was fun to see Grandpa play the accordian. I too loved the grin at the end what a great talent to pick up at touch a great age. I loved the easter. I am proud of you for getting in those jeeps, I think I have a little of mom in me, and don't think I could do that;)
I love the video of Grandpas graveside. Kelli great videoing. I think we need a copy of that
liz
I love jeepin'! Of course I grew up doing that kind of stuff my whole life. It doesn't scare me :-) I love the slick rock trails! I will miss your grandpa and his plane rides. I wish we could have got easton up in his plane this past year. He was 6 months old when he went last and I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember it :-) but I guess it's good that I have the pictures to prove it to him when he is older. You should never take your family for granted. I'm glad that we spent a lot of time camping with my grandpa. Some people never know their grandparents and I think that that is sad.
Mindy
For some reason I wasn't able to see the videos, but loved the blog. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad the blogitis is gone. Let me know how the guitar goes.
Love ya
Emily
Man you guys are adventurous!!! I'm glad you're having fun...and surviving it all!
We got to hear grandpa play his violin and accordians this weekend. It's so cool. He also got out his old phonograph and played some of that music. Grandparents are great!
Post a Comment