Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fish Lake Relay

August 27, 2011
Last July we rant he 5k in Richfield and in our bag of goodies they advertised for the First ever Fish Lake Relay. Of course we signed up.... A few of us were regretting this rash decision. But we went for it anyway.
We started early in the morning.
Kami, Steve, Kirk, Me, Eric (Kami's Brother-in-law), and EmilySteve took the first leg of the race...
It was freezing to begin with.Half of the teams started at 6:30 Which was us.
& the other half started at 7:30After each leg you had to tag the next runner on your team.
Kirk took the 2nd leg.Then Eric took the 3rd. These 3 legs we came in either 1st or second they were awesome!
Janae decorated the car for us.
Our Team name was
"Slower than Cold Tar "
"Don't Race Just Pace"Emily took the 4th leg.... The longest and hardest.
She was awesome!
This saying is so true.I took the 5th leg. It was all downhill which I loved...
(Even though the next day I couldn't move because my quads were so sore.)Kami Took the 6th leg.
We are halfway done with the relay and we are doing awesome. We are averaging about a 10 min mile which is great considering that the majority of us are not runners.I don't know why but we don't have a picture of Kami tagging Steve for the 7th leg.
But Eric took the 8th Leg.
By this time it was starting to get really hot. We had to stop about every mile to give water and get them wet so they wouldn't get to hot. Kirk & I hanging out in the car. We thought we would have a lot of free time while riding int he car but we were wrong it actually went really fast. Lots of good food and good people.
Here is Eric tagging Kirk for the 9th leg.
That kid in the background was awesome he ran in Etnies shoes and cargo shorts and he ran the whole time....Kirk & Eric were heros. They both had really sore knees but they still ran and they did awesome. I feel bad now though because Kirk wasn't able to run his marathon instead he is doing physical therapy for his knee....
That is how awesome they did.We don't have a picture of Kirk tagging Emily for the 10th leg.. By now it is roasting hot outside and we were stopping about every half hour to do a water break and get the runner wet.
Kami did the 11th leg.
Kirk and Eric posing like the runner on the car... Pretty good if you ask me.
Kami tagging me for the 12th and final leg of the Relay.
It looks beautiful out huh? Too bad it was like 150 degrees....
I want to put a thank you out there for Kirk & Emily running with me on my leg to keep me going.
The whole team ran the last couple blocks with me into the finish line.
I always get a little bit of energy at the end to finish off good.
We didn't win but we accomplished our goal of finishing the Relay.
Showing off our medalsThanks Janae and Liz for watching the kids so we could run.Total as a team we ran about 63 miles.
Our time was 10 hours 49 minutes.
It sure didn't seem that long.
The fastest team was 8 hours 34 mins and they were probably all runners for college or something.
I am very confidant that had the weather been cooler we would've done much better!
Kirk and I are so proud of our team and even though those last couple of legs were the most miserable thing we have ever done... I am thinking we may want to do it again just to improve our time a little bit...
I am really proud of us!
The best part is that now I can run a 5k no problems because I showed myself that I could do a lot better than I was giving myself credit for.

3 comments:

Kim and Preston said...

Way to go Kelli! You are awesome. I could run 1 mile and then you could run 4 and then krista 4 and so on. We could form a team 1...4...4... Okay I know it does not work like that!

kricketlyn said...

way to go Kelli so awesome I am proud of you all for running that I would love to run a 5k but for now I will just stick to walking one!!! I98 need to learn how to breathe and run at the same time!

Ma and Pa Ellertson said...

Can't believe you did that. You and Kirk are awesome.