Saturday, October 1, 2011

New Orleans, Louisianna

Kirk had a Conference in New Orleans, September 21-25. We decided to make it an early anniversary get away. We were able to leave Kyden with Grandma Janae.
(Thank You Thank You Thank You Janae!)
We flew out early Wednesday morning, Out of Cedar City Yay!
Our Hotel was in the French Quarters, which is a huge tourist site so we went and took a walk around.
We walked down Bourbon Street (Which is totally different during the day than it is at night.)
Here is a picture of a street performer and Kirk. They had a variety of these. They also had some very talented artists. I loved the paintings because they were so colorful!
This cafe was recommended by just about everyone that has been to New Orleans. We are glad we listened and went. They have the most delicious beignets. Basically doughnut like things covered in powdered sugar. We stopped by here 4 times They were so good!
Jackson SquareWe walked around a bit till we found a cute little restaurant. I officially ate Jambalaya. It was good.Then we tried some alligator.I was scared but lucky for me all I could really taste was the fried part. The texture was a little weird though.One of the days we walked down Bourbon street. This looked like a cool place.We also ran into a friend from SUU, Austin Meyer. I haven't seen him forever. Small world right?One morning while Kirk was at his conference I went on a Plantation Tour. This was our Bus Driver Brian. Borderline crazy!!! He sure was entertaining though.
We drove to Sidell and I went to the Laura Plantation. The lady who this Plantation is named for wrote down her History so we got a lot of historical information.This is the house. It isn't as big as it looks. We also saw some slave cabins.We stopped in front of the Oak Alley Plantation.We walked around the flea market. Which was pretty cool too but they definitely aren't bargainers.
Took a walk by the Mississippi.
Rode the trolley along the river.
Saturday we went on a Swamp Tour.We saw an Alligator.It ate Hot Dogs off a stick which was cool.
It was a great ride we are so glad that we went.We also got up close and personal with a real baby alligator.Believe it or not they are very soft and very cute!I wanted to keep him.Some people actually live on the river. There is no way to get off the island except by boat.
Great photo op!
It was such a fun trip. Thanks Kirk for taking me!

4 comments:

kricketlyn said...

Looks like you had fun I Am still so jealous you got to hold an alligator!!!!

Cassie said...

You know Austin? Not that it should be surprising, you guys seem to know everyone that has gone to SUU in the last 10 years.

Liz said...

Ok look how fun all your trips have been, lake Powell, LA, Vegas

Ma and Pa Ellertson said...

That looks like a fun trip. Glad you were able to go