Friday, December 22, 2006

The Blood Donors...



Here is the moment that you have all been waiting for. Kelli and I survived. We are alive. Here is the story we survived just to tell you.

It is a step by step process beginning with this as we first walked in to the Red Cross building in Orem. Yep. This is where it all began. Once I signed in there was no turning back. Well, unless I didn't pass step two.

No pictures of step two because it was a one on one interview with the nurse. The part where they prick your finger. It hurt sooo bad! But I passed the interview because I have not had any "contact" with people that have sold themselves for personal pleasure, nore have I been to any country in Europe or Africa. Taiwan, luckily, is on the "safe" list. Kelli and I made it past step two.

Step three begins here for me... Kelli had started the interview first and therefore was in the chair ready to give blood. I had to wait. Here is what I noticed.


Yes, I noticed them in this order. At this moment I began to realize what was happening. The box in the middle it says "human blood", then I saw the nurse handling the "already donated" blood. Packing it in the "human blood box". Wow... the wait was brutal.

Finally, my number was called. I was in the hot seat. It took a minute of prep work. luckily I have big vains. It went in quick. It hurt, but not as bad as the finger prick. Kelli took 10 minutes or so to fill the 1 Pint bag. The nurse had to keep wiggling the needle because the flow of blood was not coming. He kept telling her to squeeze the ball. She finally finished while I was getting stuck with the needle.

Here are some pictures of me giving blood. The nurse is messing with the bag o' blood.



Well, needless to say, I made it. The final pull hurt a little when she took the needle out. Before she did that, she took a few samples of blood and put them in these small viles. Apparently a pint is not enough, they kept taking more and more... and I watched...

Here is a fun part... We all got to munch on goodies and drink juice (the final step)!


Kim and Larry are on the left. Kelli and I on the right. We only felt lightheaded a few times on thursday after donating blood. And this concludes the Ellertson party to donate blood.

4 comments:

Liz said...

wowee Love that you got your blood drawn.. I only would if I had too. THanks for coming to see us today! I have had fun visitng with you. I hope you have a great christmas. WE love you.
Love you pints of blood full!!
Glad it was you and not me! I have had plenty taken this year for baby Jamen

Emily said...

EWWWWWWWW! I'm so glad that someone in the family has the guts to give blood because it is not me! I think I could do it if someone in my family needed it, but not just for fun. Glad to see you working on getting that tougher stomach. And just think....when you were little you wanted to be a doctor! Ha Ha!

Glad to see you survived. Have a great Christmas. We love you
Em

Devin and Andrea Hatch said...

Oh man, don't ya just love giving blood? Yeah...I've done it once. Ha ha. Ya know those big white Human Blood boxes? I take those between hospitals for work. It's fun stuff. I got to watch the guy pack it one time...that was interesting. A couple pint bags of blood, slap on some ice packs and it's good to go. I hope you guys have a WONDERFUL Christmas!!

Brinda said...

Oh what fun. Last time I donated I ended up with a hematoma (I have no idea if that's spelled right) in BOTH arms. But I'm glad it went well for you two. 6 weeks and you can do it again!

Well, I hope you had a Merry Christmas! Do you mind if I add your link to my page?

Brinda