Friday, March 7, 2008

Grandpa Blake

For those who have not heard yet, my Grandpa Blake passed away this morning at 2:30. They called Grandma Blake around 11:00 PM to say that Grandpa would not make it through the night. Craig, Larry, and Wes drove up from Richfield. Jean, her son Josh and his wife were there. My Mom, Liz, and Emily were there. Kelli and I arrived shortly before my dad and his brothers arrived around 2:00AM. It was a very humbling experience to be there while Grandpa passed from this life to the next. The Lord knew that it was his time to move on to his next mission. Grandpa Blake has been struggling for some time now. His body could not fight the bacteria that was in his lungs. It is comforting to know that he no longer has to suffer the effects that cancer brought to him. We will miss him but we know he will be with us.
I don't know why but I tend to write poetry when I am reflecting or sad here is one I wrote about Grandpa. Remember I am no Professional

The Pilot

The Plane, it was his pride and joy,
The Hanger, he took great care,
So everything could be ready
When the Loved ones want to go up into air.

The Pilot, in his element,
A smile across his face,
The instruments he worked just right
Instantly, I knew this was his space.

The Beauty, held me in awe,
As the pilot pointed for me to see,
He turned the plane so I could view
The beauties God has created for me.

The Pilot, a well respected man,
Most loved among family and friends,
Lived a good life, full of memories
A powerful message his life sends.

Work hard, Play hard, Love even more,
Serve the Lord, Have integrity,
Keep your covenants and adore your spouse.
Grandpa Blake, The Pilot, meant so much to me.

-3/7/08 Kelli

7 comments:

Chris & Jennie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Our prayers will be with you. I enjoyed the poem too!

Brinda said...

That's a beautiful poem. I'm so sorry to hear that Grandpa Blake is gone. The emptiness death creates in the hearts of those left behind is not a fun thing to experience. Our prayers are with you Blake family.

Brinda

Liz said...

The poem was great. Thanks for writing such a great blog. It was a very spritual experience.

Rachel And Thomas said...

I completely sympathize. My grandpa also passed away this week, on his 90th Birthday. It's been a very spiritual experience for all of us left behind. My heart aches for you and your family, but also rejoices in the knowledge that we are not left alone, and we will see our loved ones again. My prayers are with you. Love you guys.

Janae B said...

Kelli that is a very good poem and inspiration too. We will have to have that so others can read it at the funeral. Thanks for taking the time to write that and for being there and being you.

Rivers and Monica said...

It is such a blessing to have the Gospel in our lives and to understand that the family unit extends beyond mortality. What is so neat, is that now your Grandpa's spirit and presence can be with all of you when you need him there, something that the physical body can't do. By the way, I didn't know you were a poet.

Emily said...

Great poem Kelli. It was a very special & spiritual experience, though very hard, to watch Grandpa go through this. He was a special man and I feel blessed to have known him and worked with him. We have a lot to live up to. Aren't we lucky that we have the plan of salvation? It is hard enough to see a loved one pass on. I can't imagine without our knowledge of forever families.

Love
Emily