Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 8: Boston Trip, Thursday

April 21, 2011
Abby & Kyler were so kind to us today. They took Kyden so Kirk and I could go into town by ourselves for a few hours.. It was awesome... But we did miss this a little bit....
Here we are in the Subway.
And just for the record we didn't get lost once!
I was pretty proud of us.
This was our first stop. I played catcher.


Kirk was up to bat.

We didn't pay to go inside. We figured the field looked like any other baseball field. BUt we did walk around it and do a little posing.
Really tall statues.
Luckily we found this sweet sign at the back of the field. Go Red Sox!
There are actually a few places around the field for photo ops.
We are lucky that there wasn't a game that day because it would've been crazy!
Even though we didn't go in we didn't miss on the good baseball food.
Really big piece of Pizza. It was good.
a couple blocks from Fenway was Boston University. We just walked past it and looked at the campus.
We got on the Subway then went to Harvard.There wasn't one Harvard sign anywhere... I was sad.
Both of these colleges made me grateful for our little SUU campus and the openness and cleanliness..
We called Abby and Kyler and there was this sweet deal going on at this special bowling alley but it only went on till 5:00. We wanted to go so Kirk and I hurried and jumped on the bus. Kyler and Abby loaded up the kids and met us at the bus stop and we drove to the bowling alley. At 4:45 Abby and I jump out of the car run in and ask for the special. I'm sure they were happy about that but we got it!
I bet you are wondering why we would want to go bowling so badly when we could do that here. It wasn't regular bowling it was called Candlepin Bowling. Those are the pins.

And here are the balls.
The turns are also different. Each round you roll 3 balls. They don't clear the pins that you have knocked down in between.
(Abby)
You take two of these rounds each turn.
(Kelli)
So the game goes pretty fast. It may look easy but I promise you that it is actually really hard.
(Kyler: Check out that action shot)
But it was also really fun. Just because you roll the ball straight down the alley did not mean you would get a strike. Those pins don't bounce like normal ones.
(Kirk)
They should open one of these in Utah
(Gavin)
Kyden entertained himself by playing with his shadow.Watching closely for pointers. They were playing really sweet music too so we danced a little. (Don't worry the bowling alley was pretty empty)
Ky & I hanging out
We played two games. Kyler won both but I attribute that to the fact that he had played before ;) Check out this score though of our last game.
60,70,80,90
We couldn't do that again if we wanted to. Also in the alley they had an arcade which the kids love.

So, did the guys.
It was an awesome day!
Thanks Kyler & Abby for watching Ky for us so Kirk and I could go on a little date!

3 comments:

kricketlyn said...

Weird bowling glad youhad fun though I love when kids find their shadow!!!

Liz said...

Kind of looks fun bowling!!

Ma and Pa Ellertson said...

You guys come up with the funnest things to do. Looks like fun.